PRIMARY FUNCTION: Part-Time
The Lead Youth Development Specialist will oversee the delivery of a broad range of programs within a designated Club, such as Education, Technology, Social Recreation, Arts & Crafts and Physical Education. Plan, develop, implement and supervise program execution.
KEY ROLES: Essential Job Responsibilities
Prepare Youth for Success
1. Plan and oversee the administration of designated Club programs and activities that support Youth Development Outcomes:
- Establish Club program objectives consistent with organizational goals and mission.
- Oversee the provision of day-to-day program activities in accordance with established standards and goals.
- Develop weekly and or monthly program schedule and coordinate program recruitment activities.
- Ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas/activities and receive instruction and constructive feedback to develop skills in the program area(s).
- Demonstrate leadership to assure conduct, safety, and development of members.
Program Development and Implementation:
(PC may be required to facilitate and or participate in core BGCGH programs)
2. Establish and maintain Club program goals and settings that ensure the health and safety of staff, volunteers, and members. Ensure that site staff understands and effectively communicate program standards; that they ensure program areas are safe and that club equipment is maintained in good working order.
3. Ensure the evaluation of Club programs on a continual basis; solicit member and staff feedback for program improvement.
- Respond to members needs
- Address gender and cultural diversity
- Meets overall program objectives
4. Control Club program and activity expenditures within the approved budget.
5. Assist in the allocation and monitoring of work assigned to program staff and volunteers, provide ongoing feedback and regular evaluations.
6. Identify and support training and development opportunities for assigned staff and volunteers.
7. Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events conducted breakdowns of daily participation figures, notable achievements, and any problems/issues.
Marketing and Public Relations
8. Increase visibility of Club programs via posting of the daily schedule, announcements of upcoming events and the dissemination of timely information for the development of advertising and promotion through mailings, fliers, and media releases.
9. Assist in coordinating outside resources and experiential learning opportunities to enhance programs.
- Work with staff on special events to carry out programs in all departments.
- Oversee special programs and/or events (i.e. Keystone, Youth of the Year and Awards Programs), and/or participate in the implementation of other unit activities as necessary.
- May be required to drive Club van periodically; Pick up Program, Field Trips, and Special Events.
- Consult with parents concerning member and club issues.
- Complete any required or mandated training and/or professional development
- May be required to participate in regular Program Committee and/or Outcomes Management Committee meetings
Internal: Maintain close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club members, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain or interpret guidelines/instructions; instruct, and advise/counsel.
External: Maintain contact as needed with eternal community groups, schools, member’s parents and other to assist in resolving problems.
- Four-year degree in a related field from an accredited college or university preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in a Boys or Girls Club or similar organization planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people.
- Must be able to interpret Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston, Inc. programs and philosophy.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Group leadership skills, including an understanding of group dynamics.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Valid Texas driver’s license.
The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER HOUSTON INC. is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled