Seasonal Summer Camp Assistant
Reports to: Visual Arts and Education Coordinator
This is an opportunity for individuals who are passionate about art and art education to gain working knowledge and build their portfolios and resumes. Summer Staff will gain classroom and lesson plan experience and build confidence through working with children attending the Banana Factory Arts Center’s Summer Art Camps, special summer festivals and events, and Familienplatz Children’s Craft Tent at Musikfest. Summer Staff will assist professional, experienced Teaching Artists with administering lesson plans and curriculum. Classes include ceramics, photography, painting, drawing, crafts, mixed media, glass, etc.
- Assist teaching artists with their summer camp projects
- Assist teaching artists with classroom management in both camp and at special events/festivals
- Assist with procuring supplies, prep, and clean-up of materials
- Assist with before and after-camp care programs
- Research and prepare materials for craft projects and community offered during summer festivals and Musikfest
- Staff summer festival and Musikfest craft areas
- Responsible for other duties as deemed appropriate and assigned by members of the Visual Arts and Education department
Duration of Position: June 3, 2019, through August 23, 2019
Hours of Work:
During Summer Camps: Assistants will work a 22 to 35 hour week, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm or 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Shifts will rotate weekly and include days off for each assistant. Camps run June 10 – July 26 and August 12 – August 23.
During Musikfest (August 2-11): Assistants will work split shifts from 11 am to 9:30 pm for all 10 days of the festival.
Summer Camp Assistants are required to be available and able to work during the hours outlined above. Occasional evenings, weekends and holidays may be required for other children’s activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred in early childhood education, fine art, art history or equivalent work experience; High School Diploma Required
- Previous experience working with children is desired
- Must have the ability and desire to work in a team environment
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English; bi-lingual ability in Spanish or other language is a plus
- Criminal History and PA Child Abuse Clearances required
- Must enjoy working with children and the arts
- Knowledge of visual arts desired
- Strong problem-solving skills and creativity are desired
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; ability to interact with both children and adults
- Reliable transportation to travel between facilities as needed
Physical Abilities Required:
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel frequently
- Ability to see, hear, speak, and listen frequently
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 25 pounds occasionally with or without assistance or reasonable accommodation
- Ability to work indoors in the air conditioning and outdoors in all types of weather conditions when necessary
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job.
ArtsQuest has a culture of CARES; Creativity, Adaptability, Risk Taking, Evaluation, and Sustainability; In order to be successful at ArtsQuest you must be willing and able to take ownership, and make significant contributions to the success of the organization:
- We value a collaborative work style as well as the ability to work cross-functionally.
- We not only work in an office environment in close vicinity with other staff members, across multiple buildings, we also work outdoors in all types of weather during festivals and events.
- We sometimes work long and unusual hours, including some evenings, weekends and holidays.
FLSA Status: Seasonal/Hourly
ArtsQuest is an Equal Opportunity Employer