This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes people of all skill and fitness levels. Effectively builds community within the class. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability, and cultural needs.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
- Asks and answers questions from program participants and members to support them in achieving their goals related to health and well-being.
- Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members and program participants connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Observes and adjusts approach to support all participants’ capabilities, physical conditions, health, and culture.
- Celebrates achievement of program participants related to the program or personal goals, mastering of specific skills or overall health and well-being.
- Keeps accurate class attendance records.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to
change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification.
- Certification with Mossa- the Preferred YMCA group exercise programming, or willingness to become certified in a Mossa program within 120 days of hire.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification within 60 days of hire.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to conduct classes and activities.
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.