POSITION SUMMARY: The Development Associate will have the responsibility of supporting the Development efforts of the organization. The Associate will be responsible for day-to-day operations of the Development Department and provide direct support to the Director of Development. This position will also support the Foundation Relations Officer by assisting in the preparation of proposals and the management and tracking of private grants.
• Manage the Development Department database Raiser’s Edge and pull reports when needed.
• Coordinate and process all gift acknowledgement letters.
• Assist the Foundation Relations Officer with the research and preparation of, processing, and tracking of all private grants. This includes inputting grant application information into online portals, managing and tracking of actions in Raisers Edge, editing and sending reports, and setting up/preparing for funder meetings.
• Coordinate and manage all department volunteers and interns.
• Maintain up to date rosters on Board and Board Committees.
• Schedule departmental, Leadership Board, Development, and Nominating & Governance Committee meetings and compile packets and minutes for meetings.
• Work closely with the Leadership Board and volunteers/interns.
• Answer department phones and, as needed, provide coverage for the front desk ONLY if needed.
• Other tasks as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
EXPERIENCE: 1 to 3 years development or nonprofit experience. Background in motivating and mobilizing volunteers, staff, and board. Database and grant experience a plus.
• Strong organizational, administration, telephone, and interpersonal communication. skills, detail and “big picture” orientated.
• Detailed orientated. Comfortable managing multiple tasks at one time.
• Strong word processing skills and data management experience with Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point. Experience with Canva is a plus.
• Professional demeanor, flexible and able to respond to multiple demands.
• Strong time management skills and ability to work well under pressure.
• Strong customer orientation.
• Ability to work well independently and as a team.
• Comfortable working with all levels of volunteers and donors.
• Strong commitment to the mission and work of The Family Tree.
• Must work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings.
• Must be prepared to travel to various program sites and various communities.
• Possession of a valid Maryland motor vehicle operator’s license and willingness to use personal vehicle in the course of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMAND: Relatively little physical effort on a day-to-day basis is required. Ability to lift 25 pounds for the occasional need.
MENTAL DEMAND: Use of acquired knowledge and experience, problem solving skills, organizational skills, judgment, and tact. Must be able to function efficiently in a fast-paced environment despite distractions and interruptions.
WORK WITH OTHERS: Has contact with Board Members, volunteers, and elected officials. Requires a cooperative and courteous attitude, as well as excellent phone and communication skills.
Note: This job specification is not an exhaustive list. Incumbents are required to perform all other related duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to add or change the duties at any time. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.