PLEA Community Services is currently seeking a Regular Part-Time Awake Supervision Worker for our Lighthouse program. The proposed start date is as soon as possible. This position requires union membership.
The Incumbent monitors and attends to the well being and safety of youth during the night. Maintains a comfortable and clean living environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter referencing the competition number D1ASO112018.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors youth through the night and attends to any medical and behavioural needs that arise during the night.
- Follows through on specific instructions left by the day staff pertaining to specific youth.
- Awakens the on-site Family Caregiver in the event of any major problems or emergencies. Responds to emergencies in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Supports youth with their morning and evening routines at the beginning and end of the shift.
- Ensures youth follow house rules. Monitors curfew regulations and reports to appropriate authorities as required.
- Administers medications to youth in accordance with established policy.
- Ensures that case notes are accurate, complete and in compliance with PLEA’s policies and procedures. Contributes to the completion of other documentation such as medication logs and incident reports.
- Performs light housekeeping duties such as vacuuming, dusting, emptying garbage, cleaning and laundry. Performs minor building maintenance such as changing light bulbs. Reports maintenance needs to the supervisor.
- Secures the building by arming alarms and locking doors and windows.
- Prepares and assists with meal preparation.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures established by PLEA, and meets the performance expectations of the position in a manner that demonstrates compassion and respect for all persons served. Exercises the responsibilities of the position in a manner consistent with the philosophical approach and mandate of the program.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Job Skills and Abilities
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective relationships based on mutual respect and trust with youth and the wider residential care team.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively without eyes on supervision. Use good judgment, manage conflicts constructively, seek advice and guidance when necessary.
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Six (6) months recent related experience. Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Work or volunteer experience in a residential care facility or foster home model program is preferred.
- A basic understanding of Microsoft Office.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Clearance.
- Must possess a valid Occupational First Aid Level 1 Certificate or be willing to obtain one prior to hire.
- Must possess a valid Food Safe Certificate
- Tuberculosis screening test completed upon starting employment.
- Working hours that include Saturdays and Sundays 12:00am - 7:00am based on 14 working hours per week.
- Documentation that applicant is legally approved to work in Canada.
Note: PLEA conducts primary source verification of applicant's credentials including education, training, work history, and licensure.