Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the VP of Technology will be a key business partner to the CEO and senior management team in the development and execution of the Company’s strategic plans. The VP of Technology will partner with Product Management on the execution of the strategic product plan with a strong focus on technology. The VP of Technology will manage the Development (R&D), Development Operations (DevOps), Quality Assurance (QA), and Information Technology (IT) departments.
The VP of Technology is a collaborative and high-impact position, requiring the ability to integrate the R&D, DevOps, QA and IT functions tightly into the Company’s operations. This leader will also build upon the strong foundation of the product and infrastructure needed to support continued rapid growth. S/he will be an active member of the Company’s executive management team, contributing to operational and strategic decisions, and will be expected to demonstrate strategic leadership. In addition, the VP of Technology will be responsible for communicating with external stakeholders including the Board of Directors and/or the investment community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a culture of quality, agility and high performance that will foster the attraction, development, and retention of outstanding technical talent.
- Oversee the development operations processes, procedures, and staff for the full product suite.
- Position and prepare the technology organization for scalable growth – architecture, development, infrastructure, people, processes, etc.
- Design and execute a pro-active strategy to monitor the “shelf-life” of existing technologies and third-party components and execute on a clear plan to integrate new technologies.
- Maintain a collaborative and transparent relationship with the Product Management organization.
- Supervise and actively participate in all phases and activities of product development, including requirement and design analysis, test coverage and release management.
- Participate in design meetings to formulate design strategy and specifications for new products, new features, enhanced functionality of existing products and the implementation of program fixes.
- Research, evaluate and recommend new tools and technologies as they apply to product development.
- Develop yearly budgets that meet the company’s objectives and strategic direction.
- Continuously manage resource capacity allocation in close alignment with the company’s product investment plan. Suggest refinements to plan in coordination with product management on an as-needed basis.
- Manage to all internal and external deadlines as committed and keep the customer as a priority in the approach to issue resolution.
- Collaborate with a head of Customer Support and Solutions Delivery team to ensure smooth release transition and issues resolution.
- Oversee and evolve product quality processes and approach using creativity in staffing and technology.
- Manage offshore development teams and initiatives.
- Work with third-party technology partners in the implementation and ongoing support of integrations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years of proven technical experience in a software product development environment
- Minimum 5 years of proven managerial experience a software product development environment
- Experience with the selection and/or management of external product development partners
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Business and technical abilities to lead a Software Product organization.
- Ability to learn and plan paths to new technology
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience with SaaS products including multi-tenancy and continuous product delivery.
- Familiarity with the latest cross-platform technology and trends, focusing on responsive design and great user experience.
- Experience in operating in an agile environment.
- Excellent presentation, writing, interpersonal communication, analytical, and logical skills.
- Strong leadership, communication (written and verbal), and team building skills
- At ease of establishing business relationships with individuals from various industries and at various corporate levels including C-level executives.
- Comfortable speaking before an audience in either a live conference or teleconference setting.
Relevant Technology Experience:
- Desktop Applications (WEB): Adobe Flex 3+, ASP.NET Web Services, XML and SQL Server; Using Model-View-Controller patterns
- HTML5, AngularJS, Bootstrap or Foundation CSS Frameworks, REST Web Services and SQL Server