Summary / Purpose of Position: The Youth Mentor is responsible for the direct care of children under Miracle Hill’s supervision. The Youth Mentor is expected to serve as advocate, authority, and role model for children/youth in care. Responsibilities include 24-hour house supervision and care for children/youth with rotating days off or shifts. Ages of children/youth in care may vary (primarily 6-21, under 6 may be served). While working assigned days, this is a live-in position within a group environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop relationships with teammates in order to provide “best practice” care and consistency for the youth in the household.
- Deal with conflicts appropriately and professionally.
- Respond to corrective feedback appropriately and give corrective feedback appropriately.
- Implement training as applicable to age and gender of cottage to help youth succeed; strive to make changes deemed necessary for you and your co-workers to succeed as a team unit.
- Work with Management to provide “best practice” care for the youth in the household.
- Develop and maintain appositive and encouraging relationship with residents and their relatives; strive to understand each resident as unique individual and treat them accordingly.
- Provide guidance, give corrective feedback to residents appropriately and discipline within policy guidelines.
- Provide and maintain clean, nurturing, positive environment in the cottage.
- Abide by policy and procedure guidelines, state regulations, and program routines.
- Proactively supervise all the residents in your care to ensure their safety and safety of others.
- Provide line of sight supervision on and off campus as required.
- Administer medications as prescribed and in accordance with policy and document as required.
- Prepare meals and snacks for children according to the established menu planning guidelines.
- Ensure that residents appropriately dress for any scheduled activity such as school, church, visits, doctor appointments, etc.
- Assist in shopping/providing for children’s' personal needs, such as clothes, haircuts, etc.
- Communicate professionally with other agencies, volunteers, and co-workers.
- Being available for assistance to the residents at all times, especially in times of crisis (i.e. resident or family illness, family upsets, school failures, discipline cases, etc.).
- Lead in devotions and spiritual training of the cottage residents.
- Work with the Children’s Home administrative and/or case management staff during the intake process of individual children and in communication of progress/concerns for each resident.
- Enroll children in school and assist school personnel in matters pertaining to residents in your cottage (returning permission slips, grade reports, homework on time, respond to calls, emails, and pick up children in a timely manner if called by school to assist the child, etc.).
- Complete documentation of services provided within required timeframes and keep paper and electronic records for each child in accordance with agency policy, utilizing the required database.
- Document Incidents pertaining to children as needed.
- Complete Cottage Transition forms after each shift/or rotation of schedule.
- Monitor residents’ adjustment and progress in the cottage, discuss strengths, needs, and goals in plan of care and team meetings.
- Attend court proceedings, school appointments, IEP’ meetings, and Foster Care Review Board with youth in care as needed.
- Help coordinate and transport children to visitations, home visits, appointments and services from other agencies.
- Maintain general housekeeping standards within cottages and grounds outside around the household (lawn, flowerbeds, garage, bus, etc.).
- Ensure security and safety for residents of cottage (secure keys, lock doors, windows, set alarms, check to see if equipment properly working, conduct fire drills, etc.).
- Report and follow-up on maintenance needs within cottage.
- Report and follow-up on periodic replacement and inspections (fire ext.; etc.).
- To work with the implementation of social /recreation, education, spiritual leadership, life skills teaching in day to day milieu and in groups.
- Maintain CPR, First Aid, and TCI Certification.
- Attend all staff meetings, trainings, and events as required.
- Have a willingness to share the good news of Jesus Christ, give a personal testimony and pray with/for those served by the ministry.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Hours of responsibility for this position include 24-hour house supervision and care of children/youth with rotating days off. Paid time includes all hours providing child care. However, designated sleep hours without child care responsibilities are not compensable time. If awakened during the night due to a situation requiring a response to children/youth in the care, the time is paid time.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education or equivalent experience: Bachelor’s degree or other equivalent background and
experience preferred, minimal High School Diploma, or GED required. Knowledge of the
foster care system and group home experience is beneficial.
- Years of experience: 6 months or more in a residential setting preferred.
- Specialized training required: Pass training course in CPR/First Aid, TCI, CARE curriculum.
- License/Certification: Valid South Carolina driver’s license with a clean record and a clean
Criminal Background check.
As an evangelical Christian ministry, Miracle Hill values its rights under federal law to hire individuals who share the Christian faith and the ministry’s doctrinal beliefs.
To be considered for employment, ALL APPLICANTS MUST read and agree with our Doctrinal Statement and Employment Qualifications.