Position Summary: The Estimator + Draftsperson is a full-time position that is responsible for creating design/build estimates and shop drawing sets. To do so, this position participates and collaborates in the design phase, in-shop construction, and in-field completion of Topiarius’ design/builds projects (Approximately spending 75% time working in the office and 25% in-shop or in-field.)
- Collaborate with staff during the design phase of projects to offer creative problem-solving solutions.
- Confidently suggest any resources that can/could/should be utilized in project designs based on product availability.
- Assist staff in the bidding processes by visiting job sites to take detailed, accurate measurements and photos.
- Efficiently and accurately use Topiarius' estimating software by entering accurate labor hours, material, quantities, and necessary tools/equipment.
- Use AutoCAD software to create a project packet/drawing set for each sold contract. Packet includes:
- Field verifications.
- Field drawings.
- Construction drawings, material lists, and cut lists.
- Save all drawings in client folders on the shared drive throughout the entire work process.
- Present information to woodshop staff, Project Manager, and other applicable staff.
- Implement and manage updated drawing and list workflows and staff communications verifying all staff has updated information.
- Communicate with designers on all design elements prior to making changes, edits, or adjustments.
- Ensure that crews and carpenters in-field have an accurate list of all necessary materials and supplies.
- Order major material elements from construction project sets (such as quantities of wood, specialty hardware, aluminum pergolas) and budgets.
- Make site visits, as needed, to provide creative problem-solving solutions to in-field carpenters and construction crews.
- Collaborate with staff (design staff and Project Manager) to understand project priorities and statuses.
- Follow established purchasing procedures.
- Process any receipts and invoices on a daily basis and turn into bookkeeping.
- Keep personal work area (desk station) clean and organized.
- Respond to all calendar invites.
- Read, comprehend, and interpret all applicable correspondence, contracts, manuals, and instructions.
- Prioritize tasks and handle multiple responsibilities and projects simultaneously.
- As needed, drive a vehicle with competence and common sense.
- Comply and enforce all safety policies, practices, and procedures in the woodshop.
- Report all staff injuries to Human Resources immediately.
- Regularly sits at a desk and work with the computer.
- May lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects weighing up to fifty pounds using appropriate tools.
- Bends stoops and crouches on an occasional basis.
- Intermittently moves about to work.
- Recurrently climbs stairs and occasionally ladders.
- Commonly works in locations of height (i.e. roof decks, balconies).
- 5-10 years’ experience in the construction industry.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience required.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD software.
- Expertise with generating estimates for construction projects.
- Expertise with generating, reading, and implementing architectural drawings and design/build construction sets.
- History of woodshop work.
- Expertise with carpentry tools and equipment.
- Exceptional craftsmanship skills.
- Proficiency in working with outdoor carpentry projects and materials (e.g. pergolas, containers, decking, privacy screens, cabinetry, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written skills.
- Ability to handle details accurately with strong organizational skills.
- Strong commitment to meeting quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Valid Illinois driver’s license.
- Clean driving record.
- Fluent in English.
- Personal commitment to Topiarius’ mission.
Effective Date: October 2019
Hours and Compensation:
- Monday – Friday, regularly scheduled business hours.
- Salary Position: $57,000 - $62,000 (Final decision of salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s education and years of experience).
- Paid holidays.
- Paid Time Off and Paid Sick Time.
- Company cell phone.
- Usage of company shop equipment during the company’s off-hours. (5,000 square foot shop).
- Medical and dental insurance plans.
- Retirement plan available after 1 year of employment & minimum 1000 hours of work.
- PayActive (for times when accessing your earned wages before you get your check is necessary).
- Complimentary Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability plans.
Note: Topiarius is a non-union shop.
Visit Topiarius’ website to become familiar with our company and job description.
No phone calls, please. Please follow directions on the website.
- Final candidates may be required to undergo a background check.
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or other status protected by applicable law.
- Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- This position is job graded on Topiarius’ scale of Professional Scale at Grade B (Professional) / Grade C (Senior Technical Professional).