Job Code 002 Job Title Sous Chef
Department Food and Beverage - BOH Reports to Executive Chef
Purpose; We are here to positively impact others!
Service Promise: From our Family to yours, we deliver exceptional experiences every step of the way.
Role: The Sous Chef must be familiar with all of the daily operations of the kitchen, and must be able to perform any task in the kitchen if needed. The Sous Chef often acts as the intermediary between the kitchen and wait staff, so strong leadership and communication abilities are a must. The Sous Chef will be manager on duty in the absence of the Executive Chef.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Embraces ECHO Teamwork values
- Assists chef/executive chef as needed
- Monitors and maintains line plating and quality
- Prepares a variety of cuisine utilizing skill and creativity
- Assists with hiring, training and motivating, kitchen staff
- Ensures all necessary reports and forms are completed daily
- Practices Lean Management principles as an integral part of the operation
- Responsible for helping achieve ongoing guest satisfaction and team goals
- Coordinates with wait staff to ensure guest expectations are met or exceeded
- Establishes procedures, prepares and coordinates schedules, and expedites workflow
- Ensures that level of quality, portion control, and plate presentation is adhered to consistently
- Trains and develops kitchen staff; trains cooks/kitchen staff in the importance of consistency in preparation and presentation.
- Prepare food items in accordance with production requirements and quality standards while maintaining a safe sanitary work environment.
- Skillfully utilizes hand tools or machines required, reads recipes, measures, cuts, and otherwise works on materials with great precision.
- Possesses and maintains through an understanding of the industry and stays abreast of industry trends; communicates/incorporates information to assure kitchen remains current.
- Maintains a clean, organized, and safe kitchen; ensures all sanitation procedures are being followed; ensures adherence to all health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Bilingual skills a plus
- Acute attention to detail
- Graduate of a culinary school preferred
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Five to six years of related experience or equivalent
- Basic competence in subordinates’ duties and tasks
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook
- Thorough knowledge of all food preparation techniques and styles
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
- Current knowledge of regional and national trends in food and beverage
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Applications
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies the appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to walk
- Frequently required to sit
- Frequently required to talk or hear
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Frequently utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl
- Frequently required to lift/push/carry items up to 50 pounds
- Frequent evening and weekend work required
- Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions (non-weather)
- Frequently work near moving mechanical parts
- Frequently work in high, precarious places
- Frequently work around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals
- Frequently exposure to outside weather conditions
- Frequently exposure to extreme heat or cold (non-weather)
- Occasionally exposure to bloodborne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials
- Occasionally loud noise
Please note this job description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required for this job. Standard Operating Procedures, Training Checklists, and Departmental Handbooks will be provided to ensure associate is trained in all duties and responsibilities of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Up to Par Management and Taylor Hospitality are Equal Employment Opportunity companies, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, or disability.
About the Company
Up To Par Management | Taylor Hospitality is a leading club and hospitality management company specializing in golf, country club and hospitality operations. Up To Par is a growth-oriented company providing opportunities for its partner clubs and associates.
Up To Par exists to create success for its clubs and hotels through a philosophy of continuous improvement, operational excellence and flawless execution achieved through a culture of financial discipline, safety, and community and environmental stewardship that develops and delivers innovative solutions for its customers, while providing a dynamic and challenging environment for its associates.