This position is responsible for providing support services and training for consumers in the Greater New Orleans area. This position will oversee Direct Support Professionals and be responsible for related duties as assigned. The office is located in Metairie, LA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates with Program Director and Assistant Program Director in developing, implementing and maintaining effective consumer services in compliance with Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans and funding source licensing requirements.
- Assists consumers with developing skills to fully participate in community life and accessing service to meet their needs.
- Functions as primary liaison to governmental agencies that provide financial assistance and services to the consumer.
- Completes and submits documentation of service provision within approved timelines.
- Completes written discharge summary for consumers who are discharged from the Supported Living Services Program within appropriate timelines.
- Provides direction to assigned Direct Support Professionals by providing training, orientation, counseling and discipline according to Supported Living Services Program and Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans, Inc. policies and procedures.
- Develops a Plan of Care to meet the needs of the consumer.
- Provides twenty-four-hour on-call coverage to consumers from Monday through Friday and participates in a weekend/holiday direct response on-call schedule.
- Serves as staff backup when a DSP calls out and no other DSP is available.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
This position requires the incumbent to have completed high school and have four years of experience working with individuals who are developmentally disabled. Post high school/college coursework strongly preferred. Completion of a four-year degree in a human service discipline may be substituted for experience. Demonstrated proficiency in developing and writing care plans, ability to advocate for consumers, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be a self-starter and have excellent organizational skills. Must be able to communicate in a clear, concise and professional manner.
Work is performed while seated at a desk and will visit locations where services to consumers are provided.
Must have access to a vehicle and be able to respond to consumer needs outside of normal working hours.
- Current driver’s license, registration, insurance, and vehicle inspection issued by the state of residence
- Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report
- Satisfactory background history report
VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled