Perform tasks involving physical labor for construction projects. May operate a variety of hand and power tools. May clean and prepare sites, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris and remove waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor in construction projects.
- Maintain a clean job site: pick up all tools and equipment and secure job site each day in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Layout, frame and finish typical repair projects.
- Material handling and storage.
- Load and unload trucks and haul and hoist materials.
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Bring problems to the attention of the Program Supervisor, Safety Director or HR Director.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED. Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.
- Minimum of five years experience in all phases of residential construction.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of residential construction and remodeling trades, practices, procedures, techniques, specifications, quality control, cost control, safety and applicable building codes.
- Extensive knowledge of the proper use of equipment, materials, and supplies used in construction work.
- Knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
- Ability to draw appropriate sketches to communicate details.
- Proficient in blueprint reading.
- Mathematical and analytical skills necessary to interpret job cost reports and do materials and labor estimates.
- Ability to clearly explain the steps, provide clear directions, and answer questions about construction processes.
Travels to other locations as appropriate in the performance of duties and responsibilities.
- Current driver’s license issued by the state of residence
- Current Vehicle Inspection decal
- Current vehicle insurance
- Current vehicle registration in the state of residence
- Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Report
- Must be able to pass a criminal history investigation.
Regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and construction-related chemicals. 99% of the time is spent working at job sites. Substantial driving is required. Must be able to lift, push, pull or carry objects, use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue. Requires good manual dexterity (hand, hand with arm, two hands) and multi-limb coordination. Noise level is generally loud when operating machinery and power tools. Must be able to quickly move arms and legs. Excellent stamina is required.
VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled