Directs/manages overall daily operations of the designated School Based Club of the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Houston (“BGCGH”) with primary concern for school year programs and/or summer programs service delivery, supervision and training of staff, facilities management, community relations and membership administration.
- Support, promote, and enhance the mission, vision, and strategic direction of the BGCGH.
- Establish Based Club program activities and services that prepare youth for success. Create a club environment that facilitates achievement within a learning environment and enhances youth development outcomes.
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment, ensuring facilities, equipment and supplies are maintained, including the performance of light maintenance and cleaning.
- Ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas/activities and receive instruction and feedback to develop skills in the program area(s) by, among other duties, personally observing activities while the program is in session and providing feedback to staff.
- Oversee proper record keeping and reporting including activities, events conducted and grant implementation, breakdowns of daily participation figures, notable achievements and any problems/issues.
- Responsible for ensuring Club achieve program targets, outcomes, revenue goals, and contract obligations and maintaining positive community relations.
- Participation in required training by the Club, County, State and/or funder.
- Responsible for monitoring staff training requirements and ensuring staff attend required training.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate School Based Club overall programs, services and activities to ensure they meet stated objectives and member needs and interests. Compile regular reports reflecting all activities, attendance, and participation.
- Create alignment and cohesion of academic, physical activity, enrichment, and overall social and emotional learning for youth and families in the School-Based Club.
- Collaborate with school leadership and staff for support and facilitate cooperation and mutual understanding of BGCGH School Based Club goals, objectives, and needs.
- Plan, develop, implement, and evaluate overall programs that support healthy social and emotional learning development.
- Manage School Based Club financial resources, including assisting in the development of annual budgets. Control expenditures pursuant to budget.
- Ensure administrative and operational systems are in place to maintain the operations of the physical properties and equipment of the Club. Ensure compliance with school and BGCGH policies.
- Recruit, manage and provide professional development opportunities for club staff and volunteers.
- Conduct regular evaluations, conduct regular staff meetings and provide ongoing feedback regarding employee performance.
- Serve as a bridge builder between the regular day and after-school program to promote a collaborative approach to academic and enrichment activities.
- Develop and maintain a high level of communication and positive relationships with school leadership, teachers, office and other school-based staff.
- Develop academic programs to address gaps and needs of the school day in the after-school program.
- Develop partnerships with parents, community leaders, and organizations.
- Develop and maintain public relations to increase the visibility of programs, services, and activities within the School-Based Club and community.
- Coordinate outside resources and experiential learning opportunities to enhance and expand programs.
- Conduct tours and host club visits and/or participate in community events.
- Traverse perimeter of school premises to conduct security checks twice daily.
- Respond to all safety and security issues that may arise during programs and activities.
- Purchase or approve the purchase of supplies or equipment.
- Work with staff on special events to carry out programs in all departments.
- Exercise authority in resolving member problems relating to the School-Based Club; utilize guidance and discipline plan.
- Some travel and occasional weekend work.
- Assume other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university highly preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in a Boys & Girls Club, or similar organization planning and supervising activities based on the developmental needs of young people, or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of experience managing partnerships, community relations, school engagement, and facilities in a shared space context.
- Knowledge of language specific to academic settings and academic focus areas and trends within Texas.
- Demonstrated ability to work with families, youth, and children from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and high needs situations.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in personnel supervision, facilities management, and the recruitment and retention of key personnel. Experience managing a staff team of five or more people.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- High level of creativity and problem-solving ability. Demonstrated examples of managing through crisis.
- Proficient with using computers, including familiarity with Word and Excel and ability to utilize agency software for tracking budgets and attendance. Ability to learn and utilize new technologies and apply technology to communications, logistics and other key job tasks.
- Ability to deal effectively with members including managing discipline problems.
- Working knowledge of budget preparation and management.
- Skills in fund-raising events.
- Knowledge and understanding of the mission, principles, objectives, policies, programs, procedures and practices of nonprofit organizations focusing on youth development services, with a preference for such knowledge relating specifically to the Boys & Girls Clubs.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license (CDL may be required based on vehicle standards), and be insurable.
Marketing and Public Relations
Safety and Security Responsibilities
Internal: Maintain close daily contact with School Based Club professional staff to interpret and explain the organizational mission, program objectives, and standards, discuss issues, and provide/receive information. Maintains close contact with an organizational Administrative team including but not limited to Director of Operations and/or Manager of Operations. Has regular contact with members as needed to discipline and counsel those members.
External: Maintain contact with local School management as well as external community groups, schools, members’ parents and others to assist in resolving problems and to publicize the School-Based Club.
The information presented indicates the general nature of work and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER HOUSTON INC. is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled