Reporting to the Executive Sous Chef, the Sous Chef will primarily assist the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef in supervising all culinary operations for Moonlight Basin. The Sous Chef will be involved in all aspects of the operation including; leading the associates in their duties, menu creation, and promoting a safe work environment.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Understands the guest expectations related to food quality and presentation and ensures culinary associates strive to meet or exceed expectations and help build guest loyalty
- Works closely with the Food & Beverage team to execute the event strategy and focus on meeting and exceeding departmental and hotel goals
- Assists in menu development to ensure product quality and food cost management
- Completes scheduled inventories, stocks and requisitions necessary supplies, supporting procedures for portion and waste controls
- Purchases appropriate supplies and manages inventories according to budget
- Ensures compliance with all local, provincial and federal health regulations, and trains associates on the proper handling and temperatures of all food products
- Assists in maintaining associate cafeteria operation and food quality standards
- Develops and maintains the cleaning schedule to ensure work areas are clean and sanitary and reports malfunctions with department equipment
- Assists the Executive Chef with maintaining all standard recipes
- Conducts training on food knowledge and menu items including ingredients, preparation methods
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels
- Effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints
- Compliance with all safety regulations of assigned tasks and ensure a clean and safe working environment with active participation in the health and safety program
- Adhere to all environmental policies and programs as required
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Essential Job Functions:
- Executes and supervises food production activities, e.g. proper cleaning, cutting, marinating, seasoning, cooking of food items etc.
- Coordinates and controls kitchen helpers in food storage (e.g. maintaining tidiness, following the first in – first out principle)
- Oversee day-to-day production and operations in the kitchen which includes the planning and directing of all food preparation.
- Monitors material consumption and orders required food and equipment on a daily basis to satisfy the daily production plan
- Participates in the development of food products and menus as needed for menu presentations
- Must be aware of content in catering manuals; conducts updates when necessary
- Executes countermeasures in the production in case of customer complaints
- Supports training of kitchen helpers
- Maintains and monitors hygiene, health and safety standards and monitors that Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulations are adhered to
- Maintains and monitors quality, conducts quality control checks according to HACCP regulations
- Conducts quality checks of goods received
- Monitors and ensures compliance with recipe specifications
- Guide, motivate and develop the subordinate employees within the Human Resources Policy
- Teach and train staff of production and presentation changes to menu items
- Make the company’s values and management principles live in the department(s)
- Discipline and document underperforming staff members
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
Expected Hours of Work
- This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work.
Position requires standing for long periods as well as walk, bending and stooping, ability to lift up to 50 pounds. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, etc.
- Culinary or apprenticeship program.
- Four (4) years of progressive experience in high-volume food production or catering in a supervisory or management role, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.