Summary of Position: The Pastry Chef’s responsibilities include the creation and preparation of quality pastry items such as breakfast pastries, desserts, bread, ice creams, creams, sauces and other special request items.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates and decorates pastries and desserts for the restaurants and for catering events.
- Maintain effective communication within the kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems.
- Set up station according to restaurant guidelines.
- Follows recipes, portion controls, and presentation specifications as set by the restaurant.
- Responsible for the organization of the kitchen, to include: food storage, sanitation, cleaning, and safety.
- Orders supplies as needed for effective execution of Pastry Chef duties.
- Evaluates food products to assure quality standards are consistently maintained.
- Execute regular cleaning and maintenance schedule
- Maintain a high level of food quality and service standards at all times.
- Ensure safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
- Will supervise kitchen staff in absence of management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must hold a culinary degree/certification and/or have related experience of education and experience.
- Food Handlers Permit required.
- Understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Must have an extensive knowledge of kitchen equipment and ingredients.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel.
- Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, to take feedback, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, to treat coworkers, supervisors, and guests with respect and courtesy.
- Must have problem-solving abilities, strong attention to detail, be self-motivated and organized.
- Must be able to work in a high paced environment.
- Standing for extended amounts of time.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds (and occasionally up to 75 pounds with assistance)
Work late or irregular hours, nights, weekends and some holidays.