POSITION SUMMARY: The shop foreman should be a capable leader, with the ability to organize, train and supervise personnel. He must be capable to manage the entire service operation including shop assignments, personnel and standards of performance and work output to satisfy customer’s service needs.
The following responsibilities are general duties that a particular employee in this position may be required to perform. The individual may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Ascertains repair problems and services by listening to customer's description of symptoms; clarifying the description of problems; conducting inspections; taking test drives; checking vehicle maintenance records; examining service schedules.
- Verifies warranty and service contract coverage by examining records and papers; explaining provisions and exclusions.
- Develops estimates by costing materials, supplies, and labor; calculating customer's payment, including deductibles.
- Prepares repair orders (RO) by describing symptoms, problems, and causes discovered, as well as repairs and services required; obtaining approval signatures; entering RO into service database system.
- Maintains customer rapport by explaining estimates and expected return of vehicle; obtaining customer's approval of estimates; obtaining and providing contact telephone numbers; answering questions and concerns; arranging towing and temporary transportation.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading manufacturers' publications.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Supervise and control work load of service technicians.
- Schedules service work according to priority and maintains an orderly flow of work.
- Communicates regularly with the Service Manager regarding possible customer satisfaction and other shop issues.
- Advises customers of necessary repair service including estimates of cost; also makes recommendations to customers for preventative maintenance.
- Reviews paperwork associated with repairing vehicles. Makes sure all documentation for warranty claims are correct.
- Responsible for the safety of service technicians and maintaining a safe working environment in the shop area and reporting all accidents to service manager immediately.
- Works in coordination with Parts, Office, Sales, and Management.
- Listens to problems of service personnel and works out satisfactorily or brings problems to management for a possible solution.
- Inspects all completed work turned in to the service department as is appropriate.
- Helps service personnel diagnose customer complaint, contact factory representative for assistance.
- Recommends new shop equipment which will cut costs in the shop and speed up work or which will give the customer more complete coverage.
- Responsible for issuing purchase orders for the service department.
- Ensures all technician computer programs are up to date. Ability to travel to other locations when needed to assist in Service Operations.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Push/pull at least 75 pounds.
- Climb into and out of equipment.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- HS Diploma or equivalent and six (6) years' related heavy truck/equipment maintenance experience OR an equivalent combination of work experience and education. Must meet all requirements of Technician A and Service Writer Positions.
- Valid Class A or B commercial driver license (CDL) with a minimal infraction on driving record
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook), and experience with dealership based software platforms.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills.
- DOT Qualifications including Brake Maintenance & Inspections, and Annual Vehicle Inspections.
- Knowledge, skill and ability to inspect, diagnose and repair suspension, brake system, electrical system, hydraulic system, tires, drive train, engine, and transmission.
- Knowledge of DOT, OSHA and other applicable health and safety standards.
- Customer Service – Acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner to coworkers. Within reason, does what it takes to meet and exceed the expectations of customers.
- Dependability – Follows through with assignments and is dependable. Reports to work on time and adheres to the established work schedule.
- Ethics – Adheres to the laws as well as Peterbilt Truck Centers’ policies and rules. Promptly reports concerns or potential violations in accordance with reporting procedures.
- Safety Orientation – Follows and promotes Peterbilt Truck Centers’ safety rules and procedures. Shows an appreciation and sets an example for safe work behavior. Does not take inappropriate risks.
- The shop foreman requires adequate knowledge of work processes and requirements for both physical labor and shop equipment.
- This position requires leadership, tact, and knowledge in assigning and instructing personnel in the proper performance of mechanical operations safely and without damage to materials or persons.
- This position is one that will be part of the active management group of the dealership.
- Hand tools including, but not limited to, hammers, screwdriver, air tools and wrenches. Vehicles including, but not limited to forklifts and company vehicles.
- Machines including, but not limited to, drill press, engine hoist, floor jacks, grinders, overhead cranes, and welders.
- Diagnostic computer software, Microsoft word programs.