Communications Specialist - Victoria Royals & GSL Group
Who we are:
The Victoria Royals are a Canadian major junior ice hockey team currently members of the B.C. Division of the Western Conference in the Western Hockey League (WHL). The Royals are based in Victoria, British Columbia, and play their home games at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
GSL Group is headquartered in Vancouver, B.C. with offices and operations also located in Victoria and Kelowna. We have a wide range of businesses including E-Commerce, Sports and Entertainment, Hospitality, Food & Beverage, and Real Estate Development and Construction (Commercial, Industrial, Residential and Sports & Entertainment Facilities).
Our Marketing department is growing, and we are looking for a full time Communications Specialist. This position will be based out of Victoria, British Columbia. Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing, our ideal candidate will be an experienced sports professional and responsible for communications planning, writing press releases and organizing campaigns to promote the Royals and GSL.
A day in the life:
Main responsibilities include assisting to proactively develop and manage all areas of the Royals’ media and community relations efforts. Working closely with Royals’ business staff, hockey operations staff, players, media, and community officials. Play an active role in the planning and execution of year-round internal and external communications plan and strategy for team, business, and community elements for the Royals and GSL.
- Develop, manage, and own communications for the Victoria Royals Hockey Club, the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, and other GSL properties to help purposefully tell our story.
- Actively pitch and partner with media for team announcements, events, concerts, community announcements, etc.
- Writing and editing of press releases, game stories and various other communications pieces for the organization.
- Help manage day-to-day media relations and community relations operational elements.
- Assist in maintaining the team’s hockey statistical record and working database and be able to manage it to provide data to team personnel as requested.
- Manage communications game night personnel. Game night activities include operation of media gate and media level.
- Assist in the managing of media and photo credentialing and requests for interviews with players, coaches, and front office personnel.
- Capable of developing, implementing, and executing successful communications campaigns for all Royals and GSL properties.
- Draft content for our website and for our social media platforms.
- Provide media training to our athletes.
- Balance multiple projects and be accountable to deadlines.
- Attend all Victoria Royals home games in person.
- Attend concerts and festivals in person or as required.
You own this if you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communication, public relations, journalism, or related field.
- 2-3 years of experience in public relations or corporate communications.
- Experience in copywriting and editing.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
- Well organized with ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Able to work both independently and in a team environment.
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Experience in sports and entertainment
- Knowledge of hockey
- Awareness of different media agendas
- Proactive thinker and self-starter
- Creative thinker
Benefits, perks & other cool stuff:
- Flexible schedule
- Competitive salary
- Employer paid dental & extended health coverage
- Life insurance and disability coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment, in a variety of industries
- Remote working
due to Covid-19
is very important to us at GSL! We want someone who, along with having the
above qualifications, is also passionate and driven. You have a ‘can-do’,
positive attitude and enjoy collaborating and working in teams. If this sounds
like you, please apply today - we can’t wait to discuss the role in more detail
GSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are dedicated to providing a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. All employment decisions are made based on qualifications, job requirements and business needs. GSL is passionate about being known for an inclusive culture where talented people of all backgrounds want to work.
We innovate | We have tenacity |We Empower | We get things done | We are Unique |We have fun
Please visit our careers page to see more job opportunities.
Apply for this Position