The Security Specialist is responsible for providing security of inmates at the assigned center, documenting records and reports, assist in the daily maintenance and janitorial duties for the upkeep of the facility and performing other related duties as assigned. The Security Specialist must be able to work part-time, as scheduled, including nights, weekends and holidays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide quality security to the inmates of the Residential Reentry Center Services.
- Assist in ensuring that the program and inmates are complying with the Federal Bureau of Prisons standards and regulations.
- Process documentation records and reports, as instructed.
- Attend scheduled monthly staff and security meetings.
- Write reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, the presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of clients, employees, visitors, and other persons and maintain the security of premises. Maintains safe and secure environment for clients, employees, and visitors.
- Respond to all emergency alarms and disturbances.
- Patrol RRC premises to preserve order and protect property, prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure the security of doors, windows, and gates. Monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting buildings, equipment, and sally ports.
- Answer telephone calls to take messages, and provide only authorized information during non-business and business hours.
- Executes other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
This position requires the incumbent to have completed at least one year of education beyond high school or have a high school diploma with two years of related experience. Must be able to function with minimal on-site supervision, excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to function as part of a team. Must be able to utilize computer keyboard and demonstrate a basic understanding of Microsoft Outlook
The incumbent is required to stand and walk up and down the premises while performing tasks.
- Must be able to pass National Criminal Identification Center Clearance.
- Must be able to observe the collection of urine samples and be able to obtain and maintain certification in First Aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- The employee may be required to stand, bend, lift and stoop in performing work.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled