Fortress Building Products is an innovative building products manufacturer focused on supplying and servicing the growing decking, railing, fence, and building product industries in North America and abroad. We are currently seeking an experienced Industrial Designer to our team to join our Innovations team.
The Industrial Designer will play an integral role in the product development lifecycle through the design, creation, testing, and development of components for new and existing product lines across our Fortress Railing Products, Fortress Fence Products, Fortress Deck, and Fortress Framing. This position will report to the Innovations Manager.
Come and join a fast-growing company that is recognized by the Inc. 5000, as a Dallas 100 Fastest Growing Company and a brand leader in multiple categories in the building materials industry.
Core Value & Culture Fit
Work Hard, Play Hard – We seek passionate people. We take our work seriously and we take the enjoyment of our lives seriously.
Positive, Can DO Attitude – We are optimistic, we set challenging goals and we find a way to accomplish them. We approach challenges with the intention of finding solutions.
Compete & Win As A TEAM – We put TEAM first. Our team is what makes our company great. We are a competitive group that likes to win. We keep score.
Innovate & Seek Continuous Improvement – We believe it can always be better. We want better products and processes. We want to be better individuals. We want to be a better organization.
We Are Respectful – We respect fellow team members, our partners, ourselves, and our company. We are known to be “the good guys”.
- Consult with clients to determine design requirements
- Brainstorm ideas and create models either by sketching or using CAD software to visually depict design ideas
- Rapidly create prototypes using 3D printing or conventional means
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers and manufacturers to translate design concepts into engineering and manufacturing documentation
- Participate in product testing
- Evaluate product safety, aesthetics, and function to determine if a design is practical and make modifications as needed
- Create instructions for product launches
- Support marketing with necessary materials for product launches
- Design displays for new and existing products
- Work with an array of design technology to complete projects
Desired Skills and Experience
- BA in Industrial Design required
- Well-developed technical and creative skills
- Ability to design products with the needs and wants of a specific audience in mind
- Ability to look at existing products and determine modifications that will improve functionality and visual appeal
- Experienced with SolidWorks, CorelDraw, or Adobe Illustrator, and Microsoft Office
- High-proficiency with CAD software for designing in 2D and 3D
- Metals experience a plus
- A collaborative team player with strong communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and work on several projects simultaneously
- Must be able to provide a portfolio of work upon request
Fortress Building Products is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled