Pipe Laborers perform tasks involving physical labor at highway and heavy construction projects. May operate a variety of hand and power tools. This position will support the pipe crew with cutting or connecting pipe pieces to be laid.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Assist instruments such as lasers, grade rods, or transit levels.
Cut pipes to required lengths.
Connect pipe pieces and seal joints.
Align and position pipes to prepare them for connecting and sealing.
Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
Assist in locating existing pipes needing repair or replacement
Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid and appropriate state driver’s license prior to employment
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work
- Willingness and ability to perform manual work following verbal and written instructions
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment, materials, and supplies used in heavy/highway construction work
- Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk, and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to lift, push, pull, or carry objects, use abdominal and lower back muscles to provide support over time without fatigue and to effectively jump, sprint, or throw an object. Excellent stamina is required. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside conditions that include inclement weather, heat and humidity, and exposure to dust and asphalt. The noise level in the work environment is generally loud.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
100% employer-paid health insurance for the employee, the employer also contributes towards dependent coverage. Employer-paid Life & AD&D insurance policy $10,000. Teladoc telephone/online doctor visit service paid by the employer. Access to PTO within 90 days. 401K - employer matches 50% up to 6% of the employee's salary.
Group rates for dental, vision, life, AD&D, STD, LTD, critical illness and accident insurance.
Job Type: Full-time
Highland Turf, Inc. t/a HTI Contractors is an EEO employer - M/F/Vets/Disabled